Data Collection and Processing
We wish to make our websites as appealing and comfortable for you as possible. To this end, analysis of statistical information relating to your utilisation of our websites and the collection of technical details on the web browsers and computers of our online visitors is very helpful for us.
Also, the integration of external services such as Google Maps for route maps, Youtube or Amazon Cloud is always undertaken in a considerate manner and with the aim of making your visit on our websites as pleasant as possible.
We must advise you, however, that your IP address and perhaps other data related to your person will be transmitted to the service provider concerned (Google, Amazon etc.) and may be stored or analyzed there.
The data protection officer of the Max Planck Society is available for questions concerning the topic of data protection at dsb(at)gv.mpg.de or +49 89 2108-1554.
Data Collection Declaration
For statistical data collection purposes, the Max Planck Society employs the web analytics tool Piwik. It is used by the central website www.mpg.de, but also by most of the Max Planck Institutes and by many project websites related to the Max Planck Society.
Options to Object
You have the following option to object to the collection of data by the central Piwik server:
Activate your browser’s Do-Not-Track setting. As long as this setting is active, our Piwik server will not store any data about you.
Note: As a rule, the Do-Not-Track setting is only valid for the specific computer and the specific browser in which you activate this setting. Should you use more than one computer or browser, please make sure to activate the Do-Not-Track setting on all of them separately.
Data Collected by Piwik
Insofar as you have not objected, the following data are being recorded by our Piwik server and included in the usage statistics.
- IP address, shortened for anonymity
- A cookie to distinguish different visitors
- The previously visited URL (referrer), insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser
- Name and version of your operating System
- Name, version and language settings of your browser
- URLs visited in this Website
- Time stamps of visits
- Types of HTML requests
- Screen resolution and colour depth
- Technical processes and formats supported by your browser (e.g. cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, RealPlayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)
Application log files
For technical reasons, our servers and applications save personal details upon your visit to our websites in their log files. However, these data are only used for the immediate provision of our services, for troubleshooting purposes or for attack prevention and will be deleted automatically after a short period of time.
The following data are saved temporarily:
- Your IP address
- Date and time of your website visit
- The address of the website visited
- The address of the previously visited website (referrer)
- Name and version of your browser / operating system (insofar as it has been transmitted by your browser)
- Your E-mail address (e.g. when using the contact form)